Mary Beth's BIO
Although Mary Beth grew up in Detroit, it is Toledo that feels like home, especially since she and her husband, Terry, are raising their family here. Their children, Tara, Derek and Cullin were all born here and are all in school now. With grade school, high school and college tuitions all looming, it's no wonder Mary Beth looks forward to many more years working on 101.5 the River. "Miles to go before I sleep!"
Rick Woodell was born and raised in Macon, Georgia, attended the community college there and eventually the University of Georgia before embarking on a 38 year broadcasting career. Rick has worked in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Texas and been a part of the programming of radio stations in Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado and California.
Before moving to Toledo, Rick was a highly rated morning show host in Greenville, South Carolina for 15 years and was co-host of "Talk of the Town," a 30 minute television travel show for Charter Communications that covered Georgia, North and South Carolina. Rick and his wife Carla moved to Toledo so he could rekindle his love for morning radio.
Rick and Carla have 4 "kids." One is Siamese...Cyan, 6 pounds of furry fury, Grayson, a loveable Gray stray from the Humane society, Frank a mini Dachshund rescue and the latest addition, Bill Blitzen, a rescued Greyhound.. Rick's son, Alex, graduated college in South Carolina and is continuing his education at the Medical College of South Carolina-Charleston.
Rick's continued love for charity work and civic pride keeps him active in the community.
"We've been here for over 7 years now. As Carla and I continue to travel the area, we're amazed at the eagerness of people to welcome us Southerners. We feel like actual Mid- westerners now! We really feel at home."
If you are someone that HAS to have the latest technology, then you need this too!
MB and R
iPhone Theft Activation Lock Introduced By Apple
The "activation lock" feature is designed to render a phone inoperable when a thief attempts to turn off another program that locates missing devices without first supplying an account password, according to Craig Federighi, Apple's senior vice president of software engineering.
"We think it's going to be a really powerful theft deterrent," Federighi said Monday at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference.
Apple’s announcement came in the face of mounting pressure from law enforcement authorities grappling with an epidemic of street crime involving iPhones, iPads and other smartphones and tablet computers.
The new feature was publicized just days before representatives from Apple, Samsung, Google and Microsoft are due to meet with New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon, who have publicly criticized the tech companies for failing to deploy technology that may reduce the incentive for theft.
In a joint statement Monday, Schneiderman and Gascon said they were "appreciative of the gesture made by Apple to address smartphone theft," but declined to comment on the new feature "until we can understand its actual functionality."
Schneiderman and Gascon said they "look forward to having a substantive conversation" with Apple and other manufacturers on Thursday.
"We are hopeful that the cell phone industry will imbed persistent technology that is free to consumers that will make a phone inoperable once stolen, even if the device is off, the SIM card is removed or the phone is modified by a
thief to avoid detection," the prosecutors said.
About 1.6 million Americans had their smartphones stolen last year, according to Gascon. Approximately 40 percent of robberies in major cities now involve mobile devices, according to the Federal Communications Commission. Police across the country say Apple devices are the most popular target for thieves because they hold the greatest value on the black market.
Once stolen, many of these devices are distributed through a global network to buyers as far away as Hong Kong. Apple and other device manufacturers have come under pressure to add a feature that would give people the capability to render their phones inoperable after they are stolen, undercutting the value of a stolen phone.
Last year, an iPhone thief shot and killed 26-year-old Hwangbum Yang of New York City in the course of taking his smartphone, police said.
Yang's sister, Sunah, told The Huffington Post on Monday she was pleased that Apple was finally taking action to deter iPhone thieves. She questioned why the company had taken so long to act.
"I'm glad they are finally doing something," she said. "But they should have done it a long time ago."
Until now, Apple's main feature for theft victims has been “Find My iPhone," a program that allows people to locate their device on a map, display a message on its screen, remotely set a passcode lock and delete data from the device. But police say savvy thieves routinely turn off the feature to avoid detection.
Apple's Federighi appeared to suggest that the new feature would prevent thieves from turning off Find My iPhone and then reactivating the device by prompting anyone who tries that to supply their iCloud username and password.
Federighi did not provide further details, and Apple representatives did not respond to requests for comment.
Apple’s new feature comes too late to spare 23-year-old Megan Boken of suburban Chicago, who was shot to death last year by a man who tried to steal her iPhone. Her father, Paul Boken, on Monday pronounced Apple's new feature "not complete enough." He said smartphone manufacturers ought to be required to create a feature that deactivates stolen phones immediately.
"A burglar is not going to interview an iPhone owner to see if they're on iCloud before they steal their phone," Boken said. "This doesn't strike me as being a technologically-advanced concept. But it's something that needs to be done."
Maaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhmm! Theres nothing to doooooooooooooooo! OK, MB and R to the rescue! Here are 10 fun things to keep the kids busy! No need to thank us, we use them too!
MB and R
When is enough...enough? Do NOT try this at home!
MB and R
Soy Sauce Overdose Sends Man Into Coma
Published: 06/07/2013 10:06 AM EDT on LiveScience
A young man who drank a quart of soy sauce went into a coma and nearly died from an excess of salt in his body, according to a recent case report.
The 19-year-old, who drank the soy sauce after being dared by friends, is the first person known to have deliberately overdosed on such a high amount of salt and survived with no lasting neurological problems, according to the doctors in Virginia who reported his case. The case report was published online June 4 in the Journal of Emergency Medicine.
Too much salt in the blood, a condition called hypernatremia, is usually seen in people with psychiatric conditions who develop a strong appetite for the condiment, said Dr. David J. Carlberg, who treated the young man and works as an emergency medicine physician at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C.
Hypernatremia is dangerous because it causes the brain to lose water. When there is too much saltin the bloodstream, water moves out of the body tissues and into the blood by the process of osmosis, to try to equalize the salt concentration between the two. As water the leaves the brain, the organ can shrink and bleed, Carlberg said.
After the man drank the soy sauce, he began twitching and having seizures, and the friends took him to an emergency room. That hospital administered anti-seizure medication, and he was already in a coma when he was taken to the hospital where Carlberg was working, the University of Virginia Medical Center, nearly four hours after the event.
"He didn't respond to any of the stimuli that we gave him," Carlberg said. "He had some clonus, which is just elevated reflexes. It's a sign that basically the nervous system wasn't working very well."
The team immediately began flushing the salt out of his system by administering a solution of water and the sugar dextrose through a nasal tube. When they placed the tube, streaks of brown material came out. Within a half hour, they pumped 1.5 gallons (6 liters) of sugar water into the man's body.
The man's sodium levels returned to normal after about five hours. He remained in a coma for three days, but woke up on his own.
For several days afterward, a part of his brain called the hippocampus showed residual effects from the seizures. But a month after the event, he showed no sign of the overdose: He was back at college, and doing well on his exams, doctors reported.
A typical quart of soy sauce has more than 0.35 pounds (0.16 kilograms) of salt, the researchers said.
Most cases of sodium overdose happen more gradually. In the 1960s and 1970s, doctors actually gave salt to patients suffering from poisoning, to initiate vomiting, until they realized its harmful effects.
Though it's rare in the United States, consuming excess salt was a traditional method for suicide in ancient China, according to the case report.
Carlberg said he believes the young man survived because the team got his sodium levels down so quickly.
"We were more aggressive than had been reported before in terms of bringing his sodium back down to a safer range," Carlberg told LiveScience. Reducing sodium levels more slowly has had poor or mixed results in the past, he said.
OK, everybody IN the pool...and we mean EVERYBODY!
MB and R
This upcoming Father's Day is a big deal. Not only should Dad be acknowledged, a few thank you's may be in order! Here are some ideas from author Todd Patkin.
MB and R
Do you (or your graduate) need a job? Here are categories that are HOT right now. Good Luck!
MB and R
Joni was on with us this morning and here is the deal (explained slowly) for you! Happy saving!
Click here to get all the details:http://www.freetastesgood.com/